Personal growth is an ongoing process one goes through to develop themselves by maturing, learning, succeeding, doing things that will lead to a happier life, mentally growing, etc. Some people go through personal growth in early stages of their lives while some people do later. It really doesn’t matter when it happens, just as long as you grow. Personal growth is extremely important in life. Staying stagnant effects you in a negative way but you may not even see it. It’s like Albert Einstein said, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.” For example, if you put your hand on a mouse trap and it closes on your hand. You keep doing the exact same thing and expecting the mouse trap not to close on your hand. I think it is also the same as doing something different to have the same end result. Like how 2+2=4 and 3+1=4 to keep it simple.
Here are some steps I follow to ensure personal growth:
- Reevaluate your priorities. Lets keep it real and face the fact that some people just have shitty priorities or none at all. Get your priorities in order by seeing what you’re doing and see where you want to be. Then prioritize to work towards your end goal.
- Whatever you do, do it for yourself! One of the worst things is doing things because someone else says it is a good idea. Or because you're trying to make someone like you. Whatever you do, just make sure its what you WANT.
- Pick up a book and READ. Reading is fundamental. Some people are just so scared to pick up a book or don’t like reading? I personally don't understand, but okay. If you don’t like reading then listen to a podcast or an audiobook. There are so many books that will help you grow mentally and open your eyes to things that you never knew existed before.
- Make time for yourself. There are different ways to do this like going out for a jog, biking, meditating, going to the gym, etc. This will help you mentally release stress.
- Remove yourself from any toxic situations. Friendships, relationships, drama, etc. All the negativity brings you down and weighs on you.
- Do something that makes you happy. You will not get anywhere if you are unhappy. Pick up a hobby, or go for your dream job. The worst thing is sitting at your desk being miserable hating your job. (Trust me, I know the feeling.) BUT you have control over that. Don’t settle for less and always go for what makes you happy.
- Accepting yourself. In life, we are continually creating and molding ourselves each day. Accept and love the person who you are now and are becoming. Always strive to be the best version of yourself. When I say that I mean to always put your best foot forward, keep your head on your shoulders and always think positive.
If you are not evolving to become the best version of yourself, then what are you doing?
Images & quotes source for this post: Pinterest.com