My Teeth Whitening Experience
I decided to try Zoom Whitening on my teeth. I have tried whitening strips before but I just did not like the way they feel and did not see any progress.
During the procedure, the dentist places a plastic/rubber mouth guard to keep your lips from touching your teeth. Afterward, the dentist puts gauze and a rubber dam over your teeth to protect the gums from the liquid bleach because it can cause irritation and redness. When the liquid bleach is finally applied to your teeth, the UV light is placed directly in front. The entire procedure takes about 45 minutes to an hour. A timer is set for 30 minutes after the first application of bleach, then a second application of bleach is applied and the UV light is placed again for another 15 minutes. At the orthodontist I went to, I was able to watch Netflix during the procedure.
In my opinion, it is not worth getting your teeth whitened. I did the procedure during the winter and the sensitivity was almost unbearable.
What they don’t tell you before getting your teeth whitened:
- You cannot eat any colored food for 48 hours.
- Stay away from cold/ hot drinks because your teeth will be sensitive.
- Your canine teeth do not whiten as much as your other teeth. (So they may even stay the same shade that you went in).
- They say that after 48 hours you will see your teeth lighten up to two shades more. What they fail to mention is that it depends on how your teeth react. It may or may not lighten up more shades.
- The sensitivity will last about 4 days in your teeth. Even the cold air will feel extremely uncomfortable!
- Make sure you just had your teeth cleaned before getting this procedure done.
My teeth did whiten, just not as much as I expected. I would not recommend anyone getting this unless you can tolerate the sensitivity and if you are okay with spending your money and getting a 50% chance your teeth may whiten or may not whiten the way you want it to be.
Here are before and after pictures of the procedure. You can see a slight difference in the shade of my teeth.
The after image seems to have residue from the bleaching on it. As you can see my canines did not whiten compared to the other teeth and the top of my teeth close to my gums do not look the same color as the entire tooth. My gums were extremely irritated after the procedure. After a few days my teeth were patchy with lighter shades and some darker colors. When i called the orthodontist office the recommended getting another session and purchasing a whitening pen.
I hope this post helps any of you who are considering getting your teeth whitened. I wish I knew more about teeth whitening before going into getting the procedure done.